| News | Relocation | Autos | Jobs | Real Estate | Apartments | New Homes | Classifieds |

Many ways to support deployed servicemembers

Editor's Note: Please do not flood the military mail system with letters, cards and gifts. Due to security concerns and transportation constraints, the Department cannot accept items to be mailed to "Any Servicemember." Some people have tried to avoid this prohibition by sending large numbers of packages to an individual servicemember's address which, however well intentioned, clogs the mail and causes unnecessary delays.The following are suggested ways to donate to the troops

Thousands of Americans are asking what they can do to show their support for servicemembers, especially those serving overseas in this time of war. Below are Web sites for several organizations that are sponsoring programs for members of the Armed Forces overseas.

  • Commissary gift certificates can be ordered by phone at 877-770-4438 or go online at www.commissaries.com/certificheck/index.htm.
  • Donate to the American Red Cross by phone at 800-HELP-NOW or go online to www.redcross.org/donate/donate.html.
  • Donate to "Operation USO Care Package" by going online to www.usometrodc.org/care.html or calling 866-USO-GIVE.
  • Donate a calling card to help keep servicemembers in touch with their families at Operation Uplink at www.operationuplink.org/donate.cfm
  • Give Blood to the American Red Cross. For more information, visit www..redcross.org/donate/give
  • Send a greeting via e-mail through Operation Dear Abby at anyservicemember.navy.mil or www.OperationDearAbby.net
  • Visit National Military Family Association Web site at www.nmfa.org.
  • To donate to the Air Force Aid Society, visit www.afas.org/ For more opportunities to support America's troops, visit Defend America at www.defendamerica.mil/support_troops.html.




    Use of this site signifies your agreement to the Terms of Service