| News | Relocation | Autos | Jobs | Real Estate | Apartments | New Homes | Classifieds |

Use careful thought when buying generators

 

Portable generators are useful when temporary or remote electric power is needed, but they can be hazardous. The primary hazards to avoid when using them are carbon monoxide poisoning, electric shock or electrocution and fire.

The United States Fire Administration would like you to know that there are simple steps you can take to prevent the loss of life and property resulting from improper use of portable generators.

To Avoid Carbon Monoxide Hazards:

Always use generators outdoors, away from doors, windows and vents.

NEVER use generators in homes, garages, basements, crawl spaces or other enclosed or partially enclosed areas, even with ventilation.

Follow manufacturer's instructions.

Install battery-operated or plug-in (with battery backup) carbon monoxide (CO) alarms in your home, following the manufacturer's instructions.

Test CO alarms often and replace batteries when needed.

If you have any questions or concerns please contact Fire Prevention at 828-4236/2877. (Courtesy of the Fire Prevention Office)

BACK TO NEWS PAGE

 


Use of this site signifies your agreement to the Terms of Service